With thousands of students teaming up to get scholarship in UK, it is only normal to wonder how you can get yours too. If you are an international student seeking to study in the UK via financial aid, this article is for you.
Now that you have decided to study in the UK, studying in the UK is a good investment for your future. A degree from any prestigious institution in the UK is invaluable in taking your career and employability skills to the next level.
Numerous financial aid options are available for international students seeking to study in the UK.
Let’s help you navigate the somewhat difficult process of getting a scholarship in the UK.
How do I get scholarship in UK?
To get scholarship in the UK, you must meet the necessary criteria for your specific scholarship.
The UK offers many scholarship opportunities for students, whether they are domestic or international. Basically, there are three main types of scholarships offered by universities in the UK– the GREAT, the Chevening, and the Commonwealth.
The GREAT scholarship is a scholarship for students from 14 countries across different courses in the UK. The Chevening scholarship is one of the most prestigious scholarships. It is a full-ride scholarship to study master’s at any university in the UK.
While the Commonwealth scholarship is given to highly talented and exceptional international students with high prospects of impacting the world.
The full-ride scholarships from the UK government cover your tuition, living expenses, and return flight to the UK. However, International students from the EU countries are not eligible for these scholarships. Only Malta or Cyprus students can apply for Commonwealth scholarships.
What are the requirements to get scholarship in UK?
The requirements to get scholarships in the UK depend on the scholarship type. Here are some of the most common requirements:
For the Chevening scholarship, you must:
- Have an undergraduate degree
- Have worked for a minimum of two years either as a full-time, part-time, volunteer, or intern (paid or unpaid).
- Satisfy the Chevening English Language Proficiency requirements.
For Commonwealth scholarships, you can apply if you are from one of the Commonwealth countries and you also want to study:
- Split-site PhD
N/B: Students from developed Commonwealth countries can get scholarships for a Ph.D. study.
If you are from the USA, you can apply for a Marshall Scholarship to study master’s or Ph.D. if you meet the following requirements:
- You studied a 4-year undergraduate course in the USA and graduated in the last three years.
- You have a GPA of 3.7 or higher in your degree.
- It is your first time studying for a UK degree.
How do I apply for a UK scholarship?
To apply for a scholarship in the UK:
- Visit the UK government scholarship website.
- Determine the one you’re eligible for.
- Select your country and the type of scholarship you are applying for.
- Check out the eligibility requirements. If you are qualified, go for it. Give it your best shot!
Overall, it is relatively easy to get scholarship in UK, but you need to know the odds. Do your research and determine your eligibility before you apply. Good luck in your endeavors!